Andy Warhol (real name Andrew Warhola) was an American artist famed for his painting, prints and films, and was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as Pop Art – he was often referred to as the ‘Pope of Pop’.
After a successful career as a commercial illustrator, Warhol became famous worldwide for his work as a painter, avant-garde filmmaker, record producer, author, and member of highly diverse social circles that included bohemian street people, distinguished intellectuals, Hollywood celebrities and wealthy patrons.
His famous works include Turquoise Marilyn, Campbell’s Soup, Car Crash, Gun, Mao, John Wayne, Flowers, Death and Disaster and Self Portrait.
Among the highlights of Warhol Croydon will be:
- A unique street exhibition of giant artworks curated by RISEgallery and the artist Dotmasters, featuring tributes to Warhol by some of today’s leading artists, to be displayed on prominent town centre buildings and lit up at night.
- FREE guided tours of the cutting-edge exhibition twice daily throughout the month.
- A FREE exhibition of original Warhol artworks hosted in the RISEgallery, in St George’s Walk, the heart of Croydon’s cultural quarter.
- A series of FREE Andy Warhol film and documentary screenings, plus talks and lectures that will including international speakers from around the world.
- Late-night openings of the RISEgallery
- Family-friendly activities planned with support from the local community
Warhol Croydon is the latest initiative of the RISEgallery which has previously brought exhibitions of work to Croydon by renowned artists Damien Hirst and Banksy.
The event has Croydon Council and Croydon Business Improvement District (Croydon BID) as its headline sponsors and is aimed at further enhancing Croydon’s burgeoning cultural reputation as well as bringing a welcome boost to the local economy through increased visitors.
Few names in the world of art are more evocative than that of Andy Warhol, who continues to attract record-breaking numbers of visitors to exhibitions of his work around the world.
Warhol’s work has attracted huge numbers of people to exhibitions in the likes of Sydney, Liverpool and Hull, this year’s UK City of Culture and now Croydon will be hosting the only UK event marking the 30th anniversary of his passing.
The wide programme of planned events and activities will attract thousands of additional visitors into the town serving to highlight the many exciting developments taking place here and underline Croydon’s economic and cultural renaissance.
1st - 30th September 2017
Gallery: Tuesday - Friday 10.30am - 6pm, Saturday 10.30am - 4pm. Please see website for tour and event times.
RISEgallery, 7-9 St George’s walk, Croydon, CR0 1YH